Monday, September 14, 2009

I'm Big on Buffalo

I spent the weekend in Buffalo. Yes, Buffalo. Birthplace of the great Tim Russert. The place where Teddy Roosevelt took the Presidential oath. Home to the Goo Goo Dolls. Oh yeah… and right next door to Niagara Falls.

I’ll admit Buffalo isn’t a sexy destination (but isn’t Niagara Falls GORGEOUS???) and it’s no where near being mentioned in the Zagat’s guide of the world’s best getaway places. So why go? Because of Amy.

I’ll admit that I’ve tried in vain several times to dye my hair her color. Rather than me looking exotic and mysterious, I look washed out and sick. So I’m blond. Maybe. I’m due for a color change right now. Hmm…

I keep in contact with two people from high school. One, because he married one of my favorite college roommates, and the other because we just clicked in 1987 and kept on clicking. Jobs / careers, apartments, travels, relationships, life decisions, traumas… often times our lives mirrored each other and it was such a relief to have someone who really knew me and liked me anyway.

I saw Amy in June when I was moving to DC from LA. One night over far too much red meat and one of those blooming onions, Amy brought up the Buffalo trip. “Sure,” I said. “Sounds fabulous.” So the die was cast and on Thursday, we met in Buffalo.

I haven’t experienced chilly weather in almost 2 years. It was a little bit of a shock to the system so I bought a new jacket. Did I also mention that since my shoes got completely soaked while riding the Maid of the Midst at Niagra Falls? Well, they did so I bought new shoes.

We did other things besides shop: art/music festival, eat, shop, drive around, shop, laugh. I suppose we did a fair share of shopping. Amy is an EXCELLENT shopping companion!

Looks like our next trip will be to Cincinnati. I hear another groan and a sigh coming from the rafters. Just because there isn’t a beach in sight and it’s one of those states that is only important during national elections doesn’t mean there isn’t much fun to be had. Top destination? The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!!!

I decided long ago that the destination isn’t important… it’s the people you take with you along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment