Sunday, December 20, 2009

Two iPhones, two weeks, and many lessons learned

If you follow me on Twitter, you probably got wind that I graduated from an 18th century Nokia cell phone to an iPhone because I tweeted about it every 5 minutes. As I got familiar with all its features and starting downloading the cool apps, I started to put together a blog post in my head about all the ways an iPhone was going to make my life better.

And then, exactly 14 days later, I was mugged in Uptown walking down Lyndale Ave. Two guys snatched my purse and ran off into the dark with just about all my identification, keys, credit cards…and my iPhone. Thank goodness neither my friend or I were hurt and she was able to call the cops right away.

But as soon as I started to comprehend what all had been stolen, I freaked out about just how much information I had on my iPhone. All my contacts, e-mail, home address, and other personal information could pretty much be found on there with enough digging. Certainly not what I want a couple of thieves to have in their possession.

If it wasn’t for the Passcode lock I had set up on my phone, all that information could have been there for the taking. Thank you to Desarae for encouraging me to set that up just a few days prior to this whole incident. Seriously, what a relief.

So the moral of the story? Protect your phone. Set up the necessary locks, codes, ect. to access all of your information. Sure, it might be annoying to punch it in every time, but in the event it gets lost or stolen you’ll appreciate knowing that all your information is safe.

Also, this was a good reminder for me to be more aware of my surroundings when I’m out and about. Don’t walk alone (we’ve all done it, but just don’t). Don’t keep all your valuables in one spot. DO continue to live your life, but just be smart.

I was lucky enough to be able to get another iPhone thanks to my Dad’s awesome plan and his 20+ years of business with AT&T.

Here is a picture of me with iPhone #2:

Me with iPhone #2

[Via http://katieinminneapolis.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment